Difference: SteerBoardMeeting04 (1 vs. 45)

Revision 452014-12-13 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 442014-09-30 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 432013-12-11 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 422013-12-11 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 412013-11-06 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 402013-05-23 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 392013-04-21 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 382013-04-15 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 372013-04-05 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 362013-04-05 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 352013-04-05 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 342013-03-05 - DanielMeister

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 332013-02-21 - DanielMeister

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 322013-02-20 - DanielMeister

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 312013-02-19 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 302013-02-18 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 292013-02-18 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 282013-02-14 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 272013-02-14 - DanielMeister

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 262013-02-14 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 252013-02-12 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 242013-02-12 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"
Changed:
<
<

Fourth PSI Tier-3 Steering board meeting

>
>

Fourth PSI Tier-3 Steering board meeting

 

Venue

Line: 16 to 18
  Location: ETH Hoenggerberg (HPK D32)
Changed:
<
<
More informatione: Indico Page
>
>
More information: Indico Page
  Vidyo http://vidyoportal.cern.ch/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=CwscU9anNiLc, PIN: 1102
Deleted:
<
<

Guide for commenters

 
Changed:
<
<
Please pick yourself a color by looking at my examples in the source text (Derek: comment). This makes it easier to follow the discussion about certain items. You may also send your comments as mail to the admin mailing list, if you do not have a wiki account with write permission. We will add your comments to the discussion.
>
>

Meeting notes and decisions taken

  • Procedures for dealing with users leaving the collaboration:
    1. Admins will send every 6 months a user list with a request for checking to the institution representative. The list contains all users working on behalf of that institution with an overview of resources consumed (mainly storage) and activity.
    2. The institution representative will communicate which users are leaving soon (optimally) or which already have left.
    3. The admins will send a standard mail to each leaving user which contains the steps that need to be taken (organizing handover of data, etc.)
    4. Users organize the handover with their collaborators
    5. As long as institution regards a user as still active (even if his contract has already ended, but he is still finishing the dissertation, he will be regarded as a regular user of this institution). Once the user indeed has left, the account will be rendered inactive after 2 months. Data which has not been taken responsibility of will be deleted, with a prior warning to the institution representative.
  • Storage Element Quotas
    1. A notification system will be put in place that signals when users have exceeded their allotted SE quota. There is no mechanism to enforce the quotas on the storage level.
    2. The quota is based on an equipartition model in regard to the number of active users. It takes into account whether users are part of a group.
  • Group directories on the SE
    1. Users can form working groups. They request the creation of such a group from the cluster admins
    2. Every group gets a home directory under /store/t3group/
    3. The storage resources consumed by the group are equipartitioned onto the storage consumption of each user (?).
    • NOTE: We need to get experience with practicality of this model. Should we see that it does not fit the requirements, we will need to reconvene and adapt.
  • Tools for managing and organizing files on the SE
    1. The admins will investigate read mounting (NFS) the SE storage
    2. Tools for doing recursive efficient operations on the storage will be provided
  • Home directory space
    • Users can consume 150 GB of home space on /shome. We have enough storage to satisfy this.
 
Changed:
<
<
You can point your users to this page and ask for their opinion, or whether there are important things that they feel should be addressed. The hope is that we all can already think a bit about the points in advance, and thereby make good use of our meeting time for the decisions that need to be taken.
>
>

Task list based on the decisions

 
Changed:
<
<

Proposed agenda and discussion

>
>

Proposed agenda and initial discussion

 
  • Procedures for dealing with users leaving the collaboration: The admins never get notified about leaving users (Urs: I'd rephrase this: The admins never did anything in reponse to me reporting users that had left. The other members of the steering board never reacted to my urge to update my list with their names.). It is important to get these notifications for freeing up resources and security reasons. We must put a working system in place.
    • Policies about how to deal with leaving users. This is just a proposal for discussion

Revision 232013-02-11 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 222013-02-11 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 212013-02-07 - DanielMeister

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 202013-02-06 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 192013-02-04 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 182013-01-31 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 172013-01-31 - UrsLangenegger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 162013-01-31 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 152013-01-31 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 142013-01-31 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 132013-01-31 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 122013-01-29 - UrsLangenegger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 112013-01-28 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 102013-01-25 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 92013-01-22 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 82013-01-22 - DanielMeister

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 72013-01-22 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 62013-01-22 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 52013-01-21 - DanielMeister

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 42013-01-21 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 32013-01-21 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 22013-01-08 - FabioMartinelli

Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"

Revision 12013-01-08 - DerekFeichtinger

Line: 1 to 1
Added:
>
>
META TOPICPARENT name="SteeringBoard"
<-- keep this as a security measure:
   #uncomment if the subject should only be modifiable by the listed groups 
   # * Set ALLOWTOPICCHANGE = TWikiAdminGroup,Main.CMSAdminGroup
   # * Set ALLOWTOPICRENAME = TWikiAdminGroup,Main.CMSAdminGroup
   #uncomment this if you want the page only be viewable by the listed groups
   # * Set ALLOWTOPICVIEW = TWikiAdminGroup,Main.CMSAdminGroup,Main.CMSAdminReaderGroup
-->

Fourth PSI Tier-3 Steering board meeting

Proposed Agenda

  • Storage Element Quotas
    • based on our current policy statements, all resources are to be shared equally between users. The SE is quite full all the time and people are consuming space very unequally. We should make some convention on reasonable user quotas.
    • the quotas cannot be enforced by the dcache storage system, so they will rather be in the form of monitoring and polling the user for cleaning up
    • since the last upgrade, the stored files are really stored with the UID of the user, so the creator of a file can be identified
  • Group directories on the SE
    • Even though this is not foreseen in the CMS model, people have started to create group folders under the store/user/ directory. This has led to a number of problems.
      • I would propose that group folders must all go to /store/group.
      • Whereas with the new file ownerships, a user can protect his files from erroneous deletion by others, the group files probably will remain world writable (except if we introduced special groups). Need to discuss about what users think about the risk of that, especially in context with mounting of the filespace through NFSv4.
  • Tools for organizing files on the SE
    • do we want to go for write mounting the filespace on the UIs? This has become an option now with the new Chimera enabled dcache version.
  • Upgrade Plans and schedule for 2013
    • SE explansion

-- DerekFeichtinger - 2013-01-08

 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback